Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Wrap-up on LeBron James

There is not a whole more to say on this topic that has not already been said, but since it is the biggest sports story of the summer, and this blog is brand new, I decided I should share my thoughts on it.

For the first five or so years in his career, I really liked LeBron James. He amazingly lived up to all the expectations of being called "King James" as a high school athlete, and he did not come across as overly cocky. Sure, his pregame celebrations rubbed some people the wrong way, but I never saw it as a big deal -- he was just trying to fire his team up. Over the last couple years, I started to notice he wasn't exactly who I thought he was. Mostly what bothered me was that he would never shut up about the 2010 free agency. ESPN was at fault for this too since they spent the last few years hyping it up, but I felt LeBron contributed to this hype by not refusing to talk about it when asked.

In the 2009 playoffs, the Cavaliers were upset by the Magic and eliminated from the playoffs, and LeBron walked off the court without shaking anyone's hand. Some people were bothered by this and called LeBron a bad sport, but to me, he was a fierce competitor who was upset about losing. I was more irritated by his actions when the Cavs were eliminated by the Celtics in the 2010 playoffs. Not only did he play terrible and lethargic during the series, but he almost seemed relieved when they lost. Now that he didn't win a championship with Cleveland, it seemed like he had an excuse for leaving -- the Cavs never surrounded him with a strong enough supporting cast to win a championship, at least he could claim.

I used to say LeBron would stay in Cleveland if they won a championship, and leave if they didn't win one. Now that it comes out that LeBron, Bosh, and Wade were discussing joining forces for years now, I no longer believe that was true. I do not believe LeBron ever had any intention of staying in Cleveland. That is why he looked so relieved when they were eliminated in the playoffs. As angry as Cleveland was for LeBron leaving, imagine if he left after they just won a championship! What excuse could he have for leaving Cleveland then? Whether or not he truly quit in the series, like some people claim, he definitely did not seem too upset, and I think the reason why was because he was already planning his departure. In the post game press conference, when asked about his upcoming free agency, LeBron answered that he "and his team have a plan." No, his team did not mean the Cavaliers -- his team meant his close friends that he gives jobs to and surrounds himself with. As soon as he took that jersey off when the game ended, LeBron ceased to consider the Cavaliers as his team. Now we know what his plan was: to find the only team that could afford him, Bosh, and Wade.

LeBron James was a free agent, and as a free agent, he had the right to say with whoever he wanted. All he owed Cleveland was to be respectful and honest, and he was neither of those. After all the Cavaliers did for him during his seven years in Cleveland, he owed it to Dan Gilbert to respond to his calls and text messages, and he owed it to Cleveland to not embarrass them on national TV.

I do not know if I can necessarily blame LeBron for signing with the Heat and joining two other star players and a head coach who has won 5 NBA championships, but I realize he's not the guy I wanted him to be when he came into the league. How great of a story would it have been if LeBron James led his hometown team and the suffering sports city of Cleveland into a dynasty? But it's become apparent that LeBron had no lasting commitment to Akron or Cleveland, which is what I find disappointing. Maybe we should have realized LeBron wasn't that committed to the Cleveland area when he wore a Yankees hat to an Indians-Yankees playoff game.
Even though I no longer live in my hometown, I still feel strongly committed and loyal to it. What disappoints me about LeBron James is when he came into the league, I wanted him to not only live up to the expectations, but to do it with class and be humble. Unfortunately, he has not done either of those, and I believe this is what upset Cleveland just as much as him leaving.

Dan Gilbert's letter may have come across as bitter and immature, but for Cleveland fans, it was therapeautic for them to read it. Cleveland fans felt betrayed, and Gilbert's letter talked them off the edge and provided them some hope. Remember, Gilbert still has to sell season tickets, and that will not necessarily be easy when Delonte West is your best player. Besides, if Mark Cuban wrote that letter instead of Dan Gilbert, people would think it was cool.

Now on to more exciting sports stories, like waiting for the NFL to start.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Emmett!! It's Adam Kloppe. Nice blog post--I appreciate intelligent sports commentary, so I'll be checking back often.

    As for the LeBron-troversy, I don't disagree entirely--I feel that LeBron should have at least given Cleveland a few days notice that he wasn't coming back rather than airing it on "The Decision." However, its not as if Cleveland's organization had worked to put the best team around LeBron, either. As you note, the best player they have there right now is Delonte West, or maybe Mo Williams. The only moves Cleveland seem to take were flyers on guys who were past their prime (Shaq, Jamison, etc.) or who had never lived up to their potential (Larry Hughes), none of which really panned out. They had opportunities to trade for guys like Amare Stoudemire, but always balked at the asking price at the last minute. So, after seven years of putting the local team on his back every night, and taking the Cavs to two Eastern Finals and one NBA Finals, LeBron decided to go play his sport with two of his best friends in one of the funnest cities in America. I find it hard to fault him for that decision. All that being said, "The Decision" was a HUGE mistake. Cavs fans didnt' deserve that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Adam! Thanks for the comment. I agree, I cannot really blame LeBron for wanting to play with Wade and Bosh, as much as I want to. The Heat are definitely contenders to win the championship for years to come now, and obviously that has to appeal to any professional athlete. Unfortunately, I think the way he went about it is what ruined his image, at least for me (and more importantly, for Cavalier fans). If he didn't do the "Decision," and seemed more apologetic to Cleveland, I think I would've had a lot more respect for him leaving.

    ReplyDelete